Questions for Nursing Home Staff: Part 1By Deborah Milito, Pharm D., BCGP: July 13, 2017
Top Infection Prevention Questions to Ask Your Nursing Home StaffBy Deborah Milito, Pharm D., BCGP: July 5, 2017
- What infections commonly occur among residents in this facility?
- When was the last outbreak (i.e., infection spreading among residents) in this facility?
- How does the facility communicate with residents, family and visitors when an outbreak occurs?
- Is the flu vaccine mandatory for all staff working in this nursing home?
- If a staff member is sick, is he/she allowed to stay at home (or go home from work) without losing pay or time off?
- How are facility staff trained to respond to questions about hand hygiene from residents and family?
- Are residents with new diarrhea given separate toilet facilities until the cause of their diarrhea is determined and/or the diarrhea is resolved?
- How is shared equipment (e.g., objects in the therapy area or common room) managed to prevent the spread of germs?
- Does the facility have private rooms for residents who develop signs or symptoms of a potentially contagious infection like new cough and fever or new vomiting and abdominal pain?
- Does the facility provide educational materials for residents and families on the following topics?
- Hand hygiene
- Use of gowns/gloves and other equipment to prevent the spread of germs
- Antibiotic use policies/practices in this facility